Water damage is expensive, whether it’s caused by leaking water heaters, a leaky pipe from the A/C unit, or even rain. Your personal items and furnishing, including your electrical appliances, can suffer tremendously from water damage.
Is there an effective way of preventing water damage at home? Yes, there is!
Listed below are some of the things that you can do to protect your home from water damage:
Water damage prevention tips
- A humidity meter installed in your home is the next best thing that you can do to prevent water damage. Your home’s relative humidity should stay below 55% and if it’s higher than that, invest in a dehumidifier. You can ask us about the best brand in the market.
- A sump pump can help prevent water from flooding your basement and crawlspace as it pumps the water away from the affected area so your water stays dry and free of mould.
- Gutters, downspouts, and drains can easily overflow due to clogs and blockages. When they do, they can easily cause water damage so be sure to inspect them and clean them when necessary.
- Keep your roof in great shape by replacing broken shingles or tiles.
- Check for interior structural issues. Beams and rafters that feel spongy to the touch is a sign of ongoing water damage.
Preventing water damage to appliances
Flooding is also a major cause of water damage, and preventing floodwaters from damaging your home requires more drastic measures on your part. The safest way to avoid water damage is to relocate your appliances or systems above the 100-year flood level.
Appliances that need to be elevated are as follows:
- Washing machine and dryer
- Heat pumps and A/C unit
- Electrical systems and/or panel
- Water heater, heater plant, and baseboard heaters,
You can also install the following to prevent water damage:
- Improving your interior wall construction
- Additional drainage so water clears out from the area faster
- Installing flood walls.
Water damage is serious and should never be taken lightly. If you feel that your house is in danger of water damage from floods or from leaks, get in touch with Ready Set Plumb.