Thermostatic mixing valves work by mixing hot and cold water at a balanced or stabilised temperature. These are the valves that will help guarantee that you have the right temperature for your hot water without having to set it manually. In other words, you don’t have to be afraid of dealing with lukewarm water first and then scalding water after one twist of the valve.
Like Goldilocks, you can say “This one is just right” if you have thermostatic mixing valves installed.
You’ll know that a thermostatic valve is efficient when it regulates both hot and cold water inlet and operates pressure variations. This gives you automatic hot and cold water distribution depending on the level shown on the handle.
Benefits of using thermostatic mixing valves
Here are the benefits of using a thermostatic mixing valve :
- These valves are intended to make your pipes and equipment more durable and long-lasting because of the minimal, if not zero, presence of solenoid valves, tap heads, and seats.
- They help you save energy by lowering energy costs as compared to having an ordinary valve.
- These valves help prevent thermal shock and injuries.
- Thermostatic mixing valves prevent the growth of harmful bacteria like Legionella in your water supply due to the controlled temperatures, which is above 55-degrees Celsius. The only problem here is that any temperature higher than 43-degrees can cause scalding burns.
- Newer valves have features like automatic preservation and reaction features which efficiently manage your water temperature. If there is a change in pressure, the temperature in the mixing chamber also changes, and corrections/adjustments are made automatically.
A lot of DIY enthusiasts would enjoy tinkering with thermostatic mixing valves, but it’s still advisable to seek professional help when it comes to setting up your mixing valves or just to ask what they can do for you. If you need to install thermostatic mixing valves, you may want to call in a professional plumber who can give you the best possible configuration for them.