The Importance of CO Detection at Home

Carbon Monoxide written on the roadCO or carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odourless gas that comes from combustion. One good example of CO is the smoke coming from a car’s exhaust. CO can be very deadly because of its poisonous nature, and your home is a rich source of CO thanks to the chimneys, wooden stoves, and gas heaters that you have at home.

Even when you’re cooking, you’re already inhaling trace amounts of CO which can be hazardous to your health in the long run.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

  1. Headache
  2. Dizziness
  3. Nausea
  4. Fatigue
  5. Confusion and fainting
  6. Impaired vision

If you experience these symptoms, open your windows and go outside immediately to get some fresh air. Once you’re all right, seek medical attention.

CO usually comes from car exhausts, boilers, heaters, and other appliances that involve combustion. Your barbecue grill is also a source of carbon monoxide and it should remain outside. CO poisoning usually occurs when there’s poor ventilation. For example, when you’re cooking in the kitchen and you suddenly feel any of the symptoms listed above. This is because the smoke or CO coming from the stove has no way out except through windows. This is why it’s a good idea to open your windows when you’re cooking. Faulty heaters and radiators can also cause CO poisoning.

In order to prevent CO poisoning, it’s imperative that you have more than one CO detector at home. They work like fire alarms except they detect CO. They also give off a shrill sound when CO levels get too high.

How do you eliminate CO at home?

CO detection at home is very easy and, so is eliminating the deadly gas from your home.

  • First, make sure that all your heaters were installed by professionals. This will reduce the chances of CO exposure through improper installation. The same thing can be said for your boilers, chimneys, and other appliances that burn fuel.
  • Use the right fuel or kerosene for your kerosene heater.
  • Your wooden stove should meet federal EPA emission standards.
  • Never use charcoal inside your house.
  • If you have a gas generator, make sure that it’s far from your home so you don’t inhale the exhaust.

For more information about CO exposure, you can seek help from a qualified plumber or just call your local health authorities.

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
WhatsApp
Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Request A Quote

best seller icon

Lifetime Labour
Gaurantee

pin icon

Servicing Sydney's Northern & Eastern Suburbs, City & Inner West

satisfaction icon

Our work is fully compliant and meets the highest standards of the Plumbing Code of Australia

legal icon

Master Plumbers Assoc of NSW Licenced Plumber, Drainer and Gasfitter
Lic: 266660C

Why Choose Us

6 Reasons Why Our Customers Keep Coming Back

ReadysetPlumb Team member

Call now to book in your $0 call out fee service.

1

Blocked drains & toilets, water/gas leaks, heaters, replacing taps, gutters…. We fix them to last!

2

24/7 Emergencies – We’ll be there promptly when you need us!

3

$0 Call Out Fee – No surprises – You have the facts & pricing before we start

4

Fast, Efficient, Polite & Reliable - We solve problems with the least disruption

5

Tidy Tradesmen - We respect your property & leave it better than we found it

6

100% Work Guarantee - There is no risk to you